Mature men with professional careers have a special set of needs while in addiction treatment. Specifically, they have ongoing responsibilities that have to be maintained. Our program has built in flexibility to allow professional men to fully engage in addiction treatment while maintaining their professional responsibilities.
Addiction and Executive Burnout
Executive burnout is a specific type of job-related stress, defined as a state of physical, emotional, or mental exhaustion combined with doubts about your competence and the value of your work. Addiction and executive burnout often coincide with one another. With significant added pressure and stress to perform and excel in the workplace, many professional men often struggle to meet the overwhelming demands placed on them in their careers and end up self-medicating with drugs and / or alcohol. As one’s addiction worsens so does one’s ability to function and meet basic responsibilities in the workplace, which leads to more stress and ultimately, executive burnout. Due to the correlation between work related stress and executive burnout, the two need to be treated concurrent with one another in order for full healing and recovery to occur.
If you are experiencing any of the following symptoms, you might be suffering from work-related stress, executive burnout and addiction:
- Are you using drugs and / or alcohol while at work?
- Are you using drugs and / or alcohol to cope with stress from work?
- Has your usage of drugs and alcohol progressed as your work related stress has progressed?
- Have you become cynical or critical at work?
- Is it difficult to get yourself motivated to be at work or to function at your best?
- Have you become irritable and agitated with co-workers, customers, or clients?
- Do you lack the energy to be productive because of your alcohol and / or drug use?
- Has it become difficult to garner satisfaction from your accomplishments?
- Have your sleep habits or appetite changed?
- Do you feel an unpleasant level of pressure to succeed?
- Do you feel there is more work to do than you practically have the ability to do?
- Do you feel that organizational politics or bureaucracy frustrate your ability to do a good job?
- Are you troubled by unexplained headaches, backaches, or other physical ailments?
- Are you using food, drugs, and / or alcohol to feel better about work, or to avoid feeling altogether?
- Are you missing work or showing up late due to the unmanageability in your life caused by drugs, alcohol and / or work-related stress?
The male executives we treat in our addiction treatment program have experienced several of these symptoms. Our treatment program helps alleviate the symptoms of executive burnout while helping professional men learn how regain balance in their personal and professional lives while also learning how to achieve and maintain sobriety and recovery. We offer a flexible residential treatment program where men recover among like-minded men and under the care of highly credentialed professionals. Our program builds in time for men to maintain work responsibilities while learning to live a happier life that is substance and stress free.