Frequently Asked Questions
Going to rehab can be a confusing process. Not every treatment center follows the same policies and procedures or allows the same items in treatment. Therefore, we’ve created a resource page for you to refer to before your treatment stay. Read on to find out more about the most frequently asked questions at Hotel California by the Sea, along with some other crucial information about our addiction rehab programs. For more information, reach out to our admissions specialists here.
- Motivational books or useful magazines for idle hours Family photos/albums
- Medication in original bottles or blister packs
- IDs (driver’s license, company ID, passport, insurance card, etc.)
- A notebook or journal to document your rehab journey
- An Ipod Nano or similar music device that DOES NOT have internet access – electronics with internet access will be locked up while you are on blackout period.
- Prepaid visas (no cash) to purchase any needed items while in treatment – you will have an option for family to add money to this prepaid card once you are in treatment
- Personal Hygiene Items
- Toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, shampoo, deodorant, hair styling tools, hair brush, face wash, feminine hygiene products, lotion, Etc.
- Be sure to bring at least 2 weeks worth of comfortable, weather-appropriate clothing. Southern California boasts year-round temperatures of 65-75 degrees, so we recommend dressing in layers and preparing for temperature fluctuations from daytime to nighttime.
- Please make sure that you have appropriate clothing: overly provocative clothing, clothing that advertises or illustrates drug and/or alcohol use, clothing that contains explicit language, gang-affiliated clothing, and other clothing that depicts hate speech or hate crimes etc. will be confiscated.
- Hotel California by the Sea recommends comfy footwear for daytime, tennis shoes for activities/sports, and flip flops. If you have orthotics or prescription footwear, please bring this as well.
- Pants for cooler weather.
- Shorts: Shorts should be no less than 6 inches from top of one’s thigh.
- One or two “dressy” outfits for special occasions such as weekend outings.
- Bathing suit.
- Coats, jackets, and sweaters.
- Slippers for nighttime.
Please do not bring any of the following items to treatment:
- Products containing alcohol, such as perfume, hairspray, mouthwash, hand-sanitizer and cologne/perfume. If any items are brought containing alcohol, you will not be able to use them during your stay in treatment.
- Any items containing CBD oil (lotions, sprays, etc.)
- Pre work-out supplements.
- Energy drinks.
Hotel California by the Sea accepts most insurance plans. Please contact us at (800) 762-6717 to speak with the Admissions department if you have any questions about your insurance coverage.
You can also verify your insurance coverage here.
No, we do not accept state insurance at Hotel California by the Sea. (This includes federally-funded insurances such as medicaid, medicare, and Obamacare plans.)
Yes, Hotel California by the Sea offers Vivitrol shots. We also offer other anti-craving medications, such as Naltrexone and Campral. Our medical team will educate a client shortly after intake on the anti-craving medications available at our inpatient and outpatient rehabs, and whether these medications might be a good fit for the individual client. We also offer support for nicotine cessation.
Clients can smoke and vape in designated areas and at designated times. However, leaving group therapy sessions or 12-step meetings to vape or smoke is forbidden. Smoking and/or vaping indoors, unless in a designated smoking room, is also not allowed.
Yes, Hotel California by the Sea recommends you bring any medications you’re currently taking if the medication is labeled properly. Expired medication and loose pills are not allowed in our facility.
Sign outs for clients are approved after their initial blackout period. Clients can also submit pass and deviation requests if they want to be off property more than the allowed 4 hours for a sign out.
A blackout period is a time in the beginning of treatment where a client has limited access to those outside of Hotel California by the Sea. Although it sounds daunting, blackout periods are a critical time in our clients’ stays, where they are able to build a full and healthy foundation for their sobriety, focus on their recovery, and establish their overall treatment goals.
Family and other loved ones are an important part of the healing process. Clients are encouraged to have visitation and are allowed passes from the program. We do not typically allow visitors at the residences, but family members are allowed to pick up their loved ones and visit with them off property, if approved by the clinical team and the site manager. All requests for passes need to be submitted to a client’s treatment team for approval.
Read more on our family programs here.
Yes, our staff may take clients to purchase essential toiletries, nicotine-related products, and other common products.
Unfortunately, we do not allow pets at any of our campuses at this time due to allergy concerns and exceptional cleanliness measures.
Yes, Hotel California by the Sea offers both a family program and family and marriage therapy for every single client. Family and marriage therapy focuses on the individual client and their family or other loved ones, while our signature family program is an educational resource for family members that takes place once a month at our facility.
Yes! Children are allowed to participate in our once-a-month family educational program at Hotel California by the Sea. We encourage all loved ones to attend our family educational program to help support the entire family unit. Addiction is a disease of the entire family unit, and family members must prioritize their healing, too.
Request a Call
The road to recovery is full of uncertainty, leave your worries behind…
Our compassionate staff will answer all of your questions without any pressure. Learn about our evidence-based treatment, the ease of entering our program, and the benefits of getting help from a reputable addiction treatment facility like Hotel California by the Sea.
Every member of our admissions team has been where you are today – be sure to ask them about their journey!